The first phase of Richmond/Knob Hill was annexed in 1907. The land was part of the Nimmons’ 3-D Bar Ranch that was also subdivided for Bankview. William Nimmons held the lease on the Oliver Quarry, located east of what is now Crowchild Trail and 17th Ave SW. The Nimmons House (2 story, red brick with sweeping veranda located at the 14st between 17 and 18 ave SW) is being preserved with redevelopment on the lot. It was the source of much of the stone that went into the first phase of City Hall’s construction.
The second phase occurred in 1910 with most of the development following in the 1950s. The original grid pattern was replotted in the late 1940’s, based on The Neighbourhood Unit Concept, that featured curved streets and irregular-shaped blocks, elements that can be seen along Richmond Road. Some streets were renamed; 19th Ave was once called Williams Ave.
Like other post-war suburbs of Calgary, the majority of residential structures in Richmond/Knob Hill are single-family dwellings. Crowchild Trail opened in 1967 and is a physical barrier that splits the neighbourhood into two. Several owners of homes dating to 1912 participated in Century Homes Calgary in 2012.
If you have stories of our community or wish to enhance this history, please contact the Richmond Knob Hill Community Association at firstname.lastname@example.org